Pinewood Derby fun


Remember back to those days of yonder, when life was simpler and everyone didn't have Blackberries or Bluetooth earpieces attached to their heads? It was the days of Saturday morning cartoons, Atari Asteroids and rolled up jeans and t-shirts. And what did every boy look forward to? The Pinewood Derby!!

We had a ward Pinewood Derby this weekend, and while our entry was not the fastest, I think it was certainly the most creative. I remember my mom helping me create a similar car when I was younger (we didn't have the tools we needed to make a really fast car). Our car (or wagon) was destined to be slow, but I did beat a couple of the younger kids' cars. Take that 8-year olds!

The kids had a great time painting it, and I spent the better part of an evening creating the canopy frame out of clothes hangers, then actually sewed the canopy on. The early Pioneers would be proud. I lost both the races in the men's open division finals, but we had a blast!

2 comments:

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

We have our pinewood derby Saturday night. you've motivated me to do something...maybe repaint our car from last year? I don't get that into it. Luckily it is combined with a chili- chocolate cookoff...i'll for sure be into that!

Kallas Family said...

we were sad we missed it. I could not talk Tay into going there and then straight to work.