Waiting for the first tooth to fall

I came home the other day from work and Ashton ran to meet me at the door with some very exciting news... her tooth was loose! I showed the proper amount of wonder and amazement as she demonstrated how she had been wiggling it all day with her tongue. Before she went to bed, she asked me to check the status again. Sure enough, it was still wiggling. We are onto day 6, I believe, of tooth looseness and yet, still it dangles.

I can't remember how long it usually takes for a tooth to pop out. I remember one experience in my childhood when I couldn't get a tooth to come out. Being a child of the '40s, my dad told me of a foolproof way to get it to come out that was guaranteed to work. However, when he told me it involved string, a knot and the slamming of the bathroom door, I immediately decided that method was not for me and told him there was a reason no one smiled in pictures back in the day.

This guy's not smiling because his grill is all messed up from tooth extractions gone wrong!


I sulked back to my room and began to consider the possibility that I would never lose it, and would be stricken with a dangling incisor for the rest of my life. Needing a sugar rush, I popped in a Now & Later, a taffy-like candy that was a staple in my early development. I took one bite and felt a pop. It was my tooth! I quickly removed the candy and saw my tooth embedded in the grape-flavored sugary goodness. It was 100% pain free and I think the sugar actually helped clot the tooth hole.

So, while we wait for Ashton's tooth to come out, does anyone have any good homegrown remedies for painlessly getting a tooth to fall out?

Say "cheeeeese!"

3 comments:

Lovely Lisa said...

That is the BEST story! LOL. I can't really think of any remedies, but I do wish Ashton luck!

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

Eat an apple!

Unknown said...

Dental floss around the tooth, criss cross in the front, give her a piece of floss in both hands and have her tug in opposite directions. The floss will go through and since there are no roots, it will come out. Tell her that is how Elizabeth and Charlie lost their baby teeth! It works!